Displays FontAwesome Icons of social network sites that linkback to social network profiles
WP Social Networks Widget is similar to other plugins out there that will display icons to your social networking homes like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. However this plugin is a bit different in how it displays the social icons themselves. Bypassing the traditional method of using bitmap image logos or favicons of each service, this plugin uses an internal customized font representation of each logo. This not only allows for a much higher Retina-friendly resolution, but also allows you to adjust the CSS colors of the logo font to match the color scheme of your web site perfectly. Display options include both horizontal and vertical, with or without labels next to the icons. As much as I’ve struggled to edit social logos to match a web site in the past, this particular plugin incarnation opens up some design possibilities that previously required some serious CSS and Photoshop manipulation to achieve a consistent look and feel of the design elements.
Supports following icons:
The approach presented here is simply superior to any other approach.
- Colors can be adjusted with CSS3, with gradients and all that bling bling
- Scalable graphics
- High DPI (“retina”) compatible
- Simple HTML markup: just . No CSS sprite preprocessing or other workflow complications needed
- Can be animated with CSS3 transitions
- Easily match the link text color for monotone icons
- FontAwesome is served from CDN
- Works with legacy browsers (IE7+)